TI Teardown (Part 2 of ??)

Hey all!

Back at it again with the LCD and have made considerable progress. A few updates:

1: New connector

The old connector (you know, the IDE one I sawed off) was flakier than I would have liked. So, I soldered up a new one with some perfboard and male headers:

The new connector

2: Arduino wireup

I did manage to get the pinout for this display (Overall I had to kind of brute-force the pinouts until something worked, as I couldn't find anyone with this specific display version online. Turns out it's a 17-pin interface with a Toshiba T6A04A driver chip, you can find the pinout and Arduino code here) and some skeleton Arduino code to get the display running.

The LCD success Note: I made that image with a tiny GUI utility I made in C# that exports all 96x64 pixels of the display into one big ol' array.

3: Code Port

The Arduino code was a success, but since C++ is not my forté, I got nothing truly done except displaying static images and updating the whole screen at once. That's no fun, since this is an LCD we're playing with, not a picture frame. I decided to port what I had of my code into C# for use with my Raspberry Pi, which is running Windows 10 IoT Core. The code is available on GitHub if you're interested.

The library supports (as of right now -- I literally took a break from writing it to draft this post) drawing

  • Lines
  • Polylines, open- and closed-ended
  • Filled polygons

In the future (a.k.a. most likely this week) I'm hoping to support text and on-the-fly image rendering.


© 2016